Staff Software Engineer, Embedded Platform
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Woven by Toyota is building mobility for a safer, happier and more sustainable world. A subsidiary of Toyota, Woven by Toyota develops and invests in new technologies, software, and business models that transform how we live, work and move. With a focus on software-defined vehicles, automated driving, data-driven intelligence, security, mobility services, embedded platforms, AI, and more, we build on Toyota's legacy of trust and safety to deliver mobility solutions for all.
For nearly a century, Toyota has been delivering products and services that improve lives. Its earliest offerings, which automated the simple manual task of weaving, have evolved into the safe, reliable, connected automobiles we enjoy and depend on today. Woven by Toyota is an integral part of Toyota’s vision for the next 100 years—a world where mobility is easier, safer and more enjoyable for more people.
Our unique global culture weaves modern Silicon Valley innovation and time-tested Japanese quality craftsmanship and operational excellence. These complementary strengths enable us to develop and deliver cutting-edge technology at scale—optimizing for safety, advancing clean energy and elevating well-being. We envision a human-centered future where world-class technology solutions expand global access to mobility, amplify the capabilities of drivers, and empower humanity to thrive.
You will be an integral part of a team responsible for delivering a powerful, scalable next-generation vehicle platform for future Toyota and Lexus vehicles. This platform will comprise a new centralized electrical architecture powered by Arene, Woven Planet's flagship programmable automotive software system that integrates on-vehicle OS and data collection services with the cloud.
This team will deliver concept hardware and software solutions driven by high-quality UX research that defines an end-to-end product definition for Toyota's next-generation vehicles. This concept work will produce a full-stack solution starting with the digital services, the programmable software system, and the underlying compute and electrical architecture of the vehicle.
This team represents the cutting edge of software and hardware development at Toyota. Your work will marry the speed and agility of Silicon Valley software development with the standards of functional safety, craftsmanship, and time-tested quality of Toyota products in a fast-paced, prototyping environment.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR
As part of the SW Platform team, your role is to provide technical leadership to the team, spanning from embedded systems to cloud integration, with a focus on operating systems and middleware. You will be prototyping, architecting, and developing next-generation E/E architectures and automotive SW stacks. This is a hands-on role and the expectation is that you will lead by doing.
- Work with the extended team to architect, design, implement, and integrate embedded middleware platforms and automotive applications
- Lead prototyping activities and architecture explorations, identify project opportunities
- Represent the team in cross-functional projects and develop and drive technical roadmaps
- Deliver scalable, high-quality C and C++ code and related tooling
- Be excited about working in a fast-paced, advanced development environment on software closely connected to operating systems, compute hardware, sensors, and vehicles
- Be open-minded and ready to drive new ideas and technologies
- Be a leader by fostering best software practices and mentoring junior engineers.
- Bring a true team spirit with ability to interact internally and externally at all levels
- Have a customer focus and ability to travel
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, with 10+ years experience in SW development
- Extensive programming experience in C and C++ (modern C++ preferred) and related tooling (scripting, cross-compilers, build systems)
- In-depth experience with POSIX operating systems (Linux, QNX, etc.) as well as embedded or automotive systems and SoCs
- Proven ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams in situations of ambiguity, with only high-level direction
- Generalist attitude with proven ability to dive deep fast and willingness to learn continuously
- Excellent technical communication through presentations and documentation
- Knowledge of automotive or robotics middleware software (Autosar AP, ROS2, etc.)
- Automotive background (Autosar, ECU development, etc.) and understanding of the multimedia/cockpit space
- Understanding of real-time OS architecture and designs
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies
- Experience with GPUs and ML inference on edge compute
- Experience with CI/CD, test automation, and OTA
- Working knowledge of cloud infrastructure (e.g., Docker, AWS, Nomad, buildkite)
WHAT WE OFFER
We are committed to creating a modern work environment that supports our employees and their loved ones. We offer many options of the best programs to allow you to do your most meaningful work and to help you shape the future of mobility.
・Excellent health, wellness, dental and vision coverage
・A rewarding 401k program
・Flexible vacation policy
・Family planning and care benefits
By submitting your application you agree to the following terms: https://woven.toyota/en/careers/privacy-policy
・We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
・We pledge that any information we receive from you will be used ONLY for the purpose of hiring assessment.
See more open positions at CARMERA
Something looks off?