Software Engineer, Robot Simulation
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2023
Woven by Toyota is building mobility for a safer, happier and more sustainable world. A subsidiary of Toyota, Woven by Toyota develops and invests in new technologies, software, and business models that transform how we live, work and move. With a focus on software-defined vehicles, automated driving, data-driven intelligence, security, mobility services, embedded platforms, AI, and more, we build on Toyota's legacy of trust and safety to deliver mobility solutions for all.
For nearly a century, Toyota has been delivering products and services that improve lives. Its earliest offerings, which automated the simple manual task of weaving, have evolved into the safe, reliable, connected automobiles we enjoy and depend on today. Woven by Toyota is an integral part of Toyota’s vision for the next 100 years—a world where mobility is easier, safer and more enjoyable for more people.
Our unique global culture weaves modern Silicon Valley innovation and time-tested Japanese quality craftsmanship and operational excellence. These complementary strengths enable us to develop and deliver cutting-edge technology at scale—optimizing for safety, advancing clean energy and elevating well-being. We envision a human-centered future where world-class technology solutions expand global access to mobility, amplify the capabilities of drivers, and empower humanity to thrive.
The Logistics Robotics is responsible for developing navigation capabilities such as localization, mapping, planning, control and tele-op, and integrating them into our delivery robot system which will be deployed in the Toyota Woven City in 2025 and more. Our approach is a mixture of data driven and analytical methods, in other words, ML and classical approach which can solve real problems in the city. Also, we heavily leverage digital twin tools to accelerate our software development, prototyping hardware design and quality assurance, then iterate PoC as quickly as possible by working closely with Hardware, Cloud, Biz and UX team as one team.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
This position will design and implement system software or simulation of logistics robots. We will develop simulation models for robots, various sensors and test fields, performance evaluation, and communication interfaces with robot middleware. Development of a distributed and parallel simulation platform using the cloud, and development of a synthetic data pipeline for machine learning are part of this position.
- Integrate simulator with robot middleware interface and software stack with stakeholders across teams
- Build CI/CD pipeline with cloud simulator for test in various scenes and dynamic obstacles
- Deploy development environment for developers (release package, cloud-based simulator, UI and etc.)
- Develop robot models (URDF, OBJ, and etc) and world models (from CAD, BIM and etc) for simulations
- Develop sensor models for cameras, depth-sensors and lidars, and data generation pipeline
- Education Background - MS or higher in Robotics or related fields
- Software development experience in Unity/C#/C++/Python on Linux
- Experiences to develop a robot simulation with physics and sensor emulation
- Ph.D in computer science, robotics or related field
- Robot system development experience using ROS(1or2)
- Contribution to open source projects
- Knowledge and experience in following fields
- Cloud-based distributed simulation experience
- Multibody dynamics, collision checking, and sensor models
- Synthetic data generation pipeline with PBR
- Model conversion pipeline from BIM
- Transfer learning from simulation to real machine
- Human crowd simulation
- Test framework using real log dat
If you are currently located outside of Japan we will set up an interview over Google Hangout Meet or Skype.
WHAT WE OFFER
・Competitive Salary - Based on skills and experience
・Work Hours - Flexible working time with NO core-hours
・Paid Holiday - 20 days per year (prorated)
・Sick Leave - 6 days per year (prorated)
・Holiday - Sat & Sun, Japanese National Holidays, and other days defined by the company
・Japanese Social Security - all applicable (Health Insurance, Pension, Workers’ Comp, and Unemployment Insurance, Long-term care insurance)
・In-house Training Program (software study/language study)
By submitting your application you agree to the following terms: click here.
・We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
・We pledge that any information we receive from candidates will be used ONLY for the purpose of hiring assessment.
See more open positions at CARMERA
Something looks off?