Senior Technical Artist
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2023
Woven by Toyota is building mobility for a safer, happier and more sustainable world. A subsidiary of Toyota, Woven by Toyota develops and invests in new technologies, software, and business models that transform how we live, work and move. With a focus on software-defined vehicles, automated driving, data-driven intelligence, security, mobility services, embedded platforms, AI, and more, we build on Toyota's legacy of trust and safety to deliver mobility solutions for all.
For nearly a century, Toyota has been delivering products and services that improve lives. Its earliest offerings, which automated the simple manual task of weaving, have evolved into the safe, reliable, connected automobiles we enjoy and depend on today. Woven by Toyota is an integral part of Toyota’s vision for the next 100 years—a world where mobility is easier, safer and more enjoyable for more people.
Our unique global culture weaves modern Silicon Valley innovation and time-tested Japanese quality craftsmanship and operational excellence. These complementary strengths enable us to develop and deliver cutting-edge technology at scale—optimizing for safety, advancing clean energy and elevating well-being. We envision a human-centered future where world-class technology solutions expand global access to mobility, amplify the capabilities of drivers, and empower humanity to thrive.
As part of the Special Projects Team you will be an important contributor to a team responsible for delivering a powerful, scalable next-generation vehicle platform for future Toyota and Lexus vehicles. This platform will comprise a new centralized electrical architecture powered by Arene, Woven by Toyota's flagship programmable automotive software system that integrates on-vehicle OS and data collection services with the cloud.
This team will deliver concept hardware and software solutions driven by high-quality UX research that defines an end-to-end product definition for Toyota's next-generation vehicles. This concept work will produce a full-stack solution starting with the digital services, the programmable software system, and the underlying compute and electrical architecture of the vehicle.
This team represents the cutting edge of software and hardware development at Toyota. Your work will marry the speed of Silicon Valley software development with the standards of functional safety, craftsmanship, and time-tested quality of Toyota products a prototyping environment.
This will be a hybrid role out of our Palo Alto office reporting into a Product Manager on our Special Projects team.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are looking for a Senior 3D generalist who has an eye for motion graphics, design and experience with real-time rendering engines. You've been at the top of your game for some time now, pushing the line of what it means to be a designer across many disciplines and fields, bringing your experience and skills with you.
You have worked in product design and live interactive experiences, offline production pipelines using ray traced offline rendering and real time rendering pipelines. You can go from sketches & concepts, to development & deployment, working with research and engineering as these projects mature into products. You are expected to understand workflows, being a strong team player for most of the 3D creation process. Moving across cinema 4d, after effects, houdini, Maya, unity substance painter, and figma to visualize ideas, products, and interactions comes natural to you.
You jump at the chance to collaborate across teams, other designers, researchers, and engineering. Most importantly, you will be part of motivated team who loves having fun together, solving complex problems that have a positive impact in the world, while maintaining constant growth as part of its core mentality.
- Cross disciplinary 3D design, motion graphics and gorgeous data visualization.
- Control over pipeline and active promoter of better practices.
- Design and Animate digital vehicle content using ray traced and real-time rendering: Vehicle interactions, Interior user experiences, Instrument Clusters, Heads up Displays, motion graphics and industrial designs.
- Integrate user research and industry knowledge to imagine new approaches to design problems.
- Manage production and asset pipelines between research, design and simulation team members.
- Coordinate with stakeholders to ensure design efforts are focused and aligned with our UX design philosophy.
- 6 or more years client-facing experience working in an automotive enterprise, AAA gaming studio, large VFX production studio, and/or digital product or high end motion graphics company.
- 5 or more years of experience in product design, AAA game or feature film VFX.
- Expert knowledge in at least one 3D content creation software (e.g. Maya, Cinema4D, Blender).
- Familiarity with generative asset creation methodologies using Houdini.
- Expert knowledge in at least one game engine (Unity, Unreal).
- Incredible eye for detail, comfortable with both photorealistic and stylized rendering. In depth understanding of polygon modeling techniques and ability to create production level topology.
- Experience with Prototyping and quick wireframe iterations, as well as layout and blocking in animation to communicate ideas.
- Familiarity with surfacing modeling techniques.
- Experience connecting your work with other cross-product initiatives within the company to drive collaboration
- Examples of leadership in non-product dimensions that have made a team stronger and positively impacted the work environment
- Experience and familiarity with UI design paradigms
- Knowledge of Automotive Pipelines and tools
- 8 or more years production experience working as a Senior Artist creating AAA content
- Expertise with content optimizations for run-time performance
- Experience working with UX designers and researchers
- Delivered successful products to market.
- Willingness to explore hardware, 3D printing, VR and emerging technologies.
- Character animation experience not required but a plus.
WHAT WE OFFER
We are committed to creating a modern work environment that supports our employees and their loved ones. We offer many options of the best programs to allow you to do your most meaningful work and to help you shape the future of mobility.
・Excellent health, wellness, dental and vision coverage
・A rewarding 401k program
・Flexible vacation policy
・Family planning and care benefits
By submitting your application you agree to the following terms: click here.
・We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
・We pledge that any information we receive from candidates will be used ONLY for the purpose of hiring assessment.
See more open positions at CARMERA
Something looks off?