(Senior) Software Engineer, City OS - Platform Services
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2023
Woven by Toyota is building mobility for a safer, happier and more sustainable world. A subsidiary of Toyota, Woven by Toyota develops and invests in new technologies, software, and business models that transform how we live, work and move. With a focus on software-defined vehicles, automated driving, data-driven intelligence, security, mobility services, embedded platforms, AI, and more, we build on Toyota's legacy of trust and safety to deliver mobility solutions for all.
For nearly a century, Toyota has been delivering products and services that improve lives. Its earliest offerings, which automated the simple manual task of weaving, have evolved into the safe, reliable, connected automobiles we enjoy and depend on today. Woven by Toyota is an integral part of Toyota’s vision for the next 100 years—a world where mobility is easier, safer and more enjoyable for more people.
Our unique global culture weaves modern Silicon Valley innovation and time-tested Japanese quality craftsmanship and operational excellence. These complementary strengths enable us to develop and deliver cutting-edge technology at scale—optimizing for safety, advancing clean energy and elevating well-being. We envision a human-centered future where world-class technology solutions expand global access to mobility, amplify the capabilities of drivers, and empower humanity to thrive.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND DIVERSITY
Woven City is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, where everyone is valued and respected. We are an equal opportunity employer.
CITYOS PLATFORM TEAM
Toyota’s Woven City is a fully connected ecosystem powered by hydrogen fuel cells to be built at the base of Mt. Fuji in Japan. It is envisioned as a ‘living laboratory’ and ‘ever evolving’, incorporating a diversity of cutting edge technologies. It will be the world’s most programmable city. At the same time, it is also ‘human-centric’, serving the needs of its citizens and keeping people safe, comfortable and happy.
Our mission is to create the digital heart of Woven City: a software platform called “CityOS”. All digitally connected services in the city will be orchestrated and delivered on this platform. The technical challenge is huge, and includes creating state of the art systems for collaborating microservices, identity, authentication, privacy, security, data broking, IoT control, and much more. The platform will be open to third party inventors who will collaborate with us to unlock the potential of the world’s smartest city.
In particular, the IoT team is responsible for building services and flows to manage IoT devices through their entire lifecycle. We empower inventors to deliver on their mission with modern technologies exploring new paradigms.
For more information about Woven City, please visit: https://www.woven-city.global/
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are hiring Senior Engineers for individual contributor and team lead roles based in Tokyo. These roles report to a City OS Team Lead or Manager, focusing on building a set of services within the platform. It is a highly technical team of software engineers.
Are you passionate about technology and how it can transform the world into a better place? Are you looking for a role where you can make an enormous impact on the future by empowering other engineers to build secure systems at a scale?
- You will collaborate closely with other engineers to develop and document CityOS Platform services requirements, architecture, design, code, and tests.
- You will collaborate with teams who are building digital services and devices, and help them get the most out of the CityOS platform.
- You will collaborate closely with multiple security teams (city, application, operations) to ensure we implement 100% of the required policies in a safe way.
- You will be designing and implementing systems primarily in Go programming language, but fear not, languages can be learned!
- You will be mentoring your colleagues.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 5+ years of software development experience.
- Experience in at least two of the following:
- Experience with major cloud technologies such as Kubernetes, Istio, Kafka, and OAuth 2.0 (including extensions).
- Experience with message queues and data brokers (Kafka, RabbitMQ, SQS, to mention a few)
- Good communication, a proactive mindset, and strong problem identification and solving skills.
- Proficiency in business level English
・ Distributed systems
・ Asynchronous and Event Driven Systems (CQRS, Event Sourcing)
・ API design with OpenAPI/gRPC technologies.
・ Time series and data collection.
・ Agile software development.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 10+ years of software development experience.
- 3+ years of experience in Go programming languages.
- Experience developing with IoT platforms, included but not limited to AWS IoT Core, Azure IoT or Open Source / Community alternatives.
- 3+ years of experience defining career steps to help a team of software engineers growing,
- Proficiency in business level Japanese language
If you are currently located outside of Japan we will set an interview over Google Hangout Meet or Skype.
WHAT WE OFFER
・Competitive Salary - Based on skills and experience
・Work Hours - Flexible working time with NO core-hours
・Paid Holiday - 20 days per year (prorated)
・Sick Leave - 6 days per year (prorated)
・Holiday - Sat & Sun, Japanese National Holidays, and other days defined by the company
・Japanese Social Security - all applicable (Health Insurance, Pension, Workers’ Comp, and Unemployment Insurance, Long-term care insurance)
・In-house Training Program (software study/language study)
By submitting your application you agree to the following terms: click here.
・We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity.
・We pledge that any information we receive from candidates will be used ONLY for the purpose of hiring assessment.
See more open positions at CARMERA
Something looks off?